The Humane Society of Hobart, Inc. is a charity registered under IRS 501 (c)(3).
It was founded and received it’s charter in 1954. Before this time, people were struggling to find a solution to the ever increasing number of strays who often met a cruel fate. With no facility to hold stray and abandoned animals, valuable and loved pets were sometimes cruelly mistreated or euthanized because they had wandered from home; strays were often shot in the streets.
The shelter was founded by a group of local citizens on land donated by Bertha Jacoby. The first president, Morris Cox, started a drive to raise funds, supplies, time, labor, and material…anything people were able to give. Through the help of many, the shelter became a reality.
The Society has provided animal control for the City of Hobart since 1957.